Data protection frameworks are hugely important in today’s times where Digital India is more than just a buzzword. In the landmark 266 page Supreme Court judgment where privacy was declared as a fundamental right, Justice D Y Chandrachud stated that information is knowledge. This directly brings us to the rightful adage knowledge is power. This has major implications for people where the world wide web is ever-present in our daily lives. There are major threats to privacy and data security and hence Justice Chandrachud directed the Indian Government to have a regime for data protection in place. As per other reports, a Committee of Experts has already been set up by the Indian Government for analysing multiple issues linked to data protection in the country before suggesting a draft Data Protection Bill.
This now brings us to data sanitization as a key component of protecting and safeguarding vital information. The importance of data sanitization cannot be and should not be overlooked by the Government and its citizens alike. Techchef endeavours to offer cutting-edge, effective and much-needed data sanitization services that help in the final protection of data from misuse.
Here are some of the services that are available:
Data Erasure Services
TechChef has data erasure services offered using tools from Blancco, a global leader when it comes to data erasure solutions. The company is the Pan Asia Service Provider Partner of Blancco and the erasure services can be availed by public and private sector organizations, government bodies, undertakings and municipal corporations alike. Data needs to be erased prior to storage media disposal or reuse in many cases. Data erasure services can be deployed in case of storage media at the end of its lifecycle or for current media which has to be reused. This service is not destructive and fully erases data minus impacting the storage media or device in question.
However, in case the storage media is already at the end of its lifecycle or is damaged beyond repair then the erasure service will extend to covering data destruction and disposal of the storage media in a safe and environment friendly manner. Blancco software tools already have 22 global approvals and certifications from leading agencies and there are 6 specific software tools for tackling data erasure duties along with a mobile diagnostics and management console as part of the erasure suite.
- 100% Tamper-Proof Audit Trail
- 100% Compliance With Regulatory Standards
- 18 Global Certifications, Approvals & Recommendations
Blancco has been tested, certified, approved and recommended by 18 national and international governing bodies as listed below:
- Communications-Electronics Security Group (CESG)
- The Federal Service for Technical and Export Control (FSTEC)
- Refurbished (Reuse) & Recycle Information Technology Equipment Association
- BSI – Federal Office for Information Security
- Certified for Common Criteria (ISO 15408)
- Netherlands National Communication Security Agency
- Swedish Armed Forces
- Central Information Systems Security Division
- The Polish Internal Security Agency
- The Norwegian National Security Authority
- The Defence INFOSEC Product Co-Operation Group of the UK
- TÜV Saarland
- The Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority
- TÜV SÜD
Media Degaussing Service
Being the foremost data recovery and erasure service provider in the country, Techchef is also a degaussing service provider through globally renowned data elimination specialist Garner Products which works via hardware based solutions and devices. There are multiple Garner products available with regard to magnetic storage media degaussing and also destruction devices for data storage media. There are tape and hard drive degaussers across three models which enable the generation of magnetic fields which are evenly distributed and have strength equivalent to 20000 gauss. This ensures total erasure of data from hard drives, magnetic storage tapes and the like. The devices come with SCAN-1 scanners and software for report generation. This covers all types of magnetic media hard drives for laptops, networks, desktops and 30000 high coercivity tape media. 60 seconds is approximately needed for erasing data from the hard disk.
This is an on-site process where Techchef technicians are dispatched with suitable equipment to the office premises of clients and they execute degaussing in tandem with a tamper proof report. Post this, the clients can easily dispose media or simply shred and destroy the same prior to final disposal. Techchef offers guaranteed services, enabling organizations to maintain compliance with legal requirements and data safety guidelines. Public and private organizations should be more careful, particularly during the revamping of IT systems and migration of data from old storage devices to new ones. They should be alert when data storage media comes to the end of its lifecycle and should be disposed/destroyed suitably. The degaussing service is applicable for magnetic media only.
Below lists the most common government and industry standards for sanitizing magnetic tapes and hard drives with Garner Degausser that help you comply.
- California Senate Bill 1386
- DoD Emergency Destruction Guidelines
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
- GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act)
- HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act)
- IRS 1075
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Guidelines for Media Sanitization
- NIST SP 800-36
- NIST SP 800-88r1
- NSA/CSS SDDM 9-12
- PCI DSS 3.2 (Payment Card Industry) Data Security Standard
- PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act)
Media Destruction Services
Techchef also offers destruction solutions for data storage media of all types. Destruction service makes target media infeasible for data recovery using state of the art techniques and results in the subsequently inability to further use the media for storage of data. Whenever data cannot be recovered at all from media that has been disposed off, protection of the same is only possible through media destruction services. Simply physical damage won’t do; there has to be a refined and extensive procedure for guaranteeing the total safety of data being destroyed. Government entities, insurance companies, banks, corporate companies and public service firms have large volumes of sensitive information stored across optical, magnetic and solid state storage devices. These may reach their end of life period or simply become unusable or faulty over time.
Data should be extensively cleaned from the media and it should be destroyed in such a way that makes it near-impossible to recover any portion of the same. Garner destruction devices are employed by Techchef for offering these services.
Here’s how the process works:
- Techchef technicians visit client addresses with data device destruction tools
- All devices to be destroyed will be noted and every device will be individually put into the destruction device in question
- The machine will break, bend, mangle and totally damage all hard disk parts
- There will be similar processes for solid state storage media and the ICs and memory chips on the boards will be individually destroyed
- There will be a report meeting audit needs for total compliance
- All destroyed devices will be given to clients for subsequent disposal and they will get the report as well
- Techchef can also take care of eco-friendly disposal if needed
- Alternative data destruction services may be available upon requirements using techniques such as pulverizing, incineration, disintegration of the storage media or melting.